FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: How do I self-tape?
A: There are 4 steps to self-taping:
Video - Audio - Content - Tech Specs
- Shoot video HORIZONTALLY
- Use a plain, neutral wall, and NEVER handheld (tripods are best)
- Make sure you’re well lit (natural light works well!)
- Frame yourself in a medium close up shot (mid-chest, up) if not moving; medium shot (waist up) if your audition requires some movement
- Ensure you’re in a quiet area
- You MUST have a reader, and they MUST be quieter than you.
- CHECK YOUR AUDIO (and video). Record a few seconds and double-check all sounds/looks good before proceeding.
- NEVER look into the camera; always direct your dialogue to the reader (slightly left or right of the camera – the reader should NEVER be seen).
- Slate your name, agency, city (and age, if a minor), unless otherwise noted, before beginning and follow by a full body shot
- You may submit 2 takes of the scene, but you must submit 2 takes if the piece is 5 lines or less.
- Export as one file (unless reading for multiple roles). Each file should contain your slate and up to two takes.
- Make sure the file is downloadable and send via WeTransfer or Dropbox (Files sent via YouTube or Vimeo will not be accepted)
- Label the file: First Name, Last Name, ROLE
- Always watch back before sending!